We are Visual Meta, a successful and steadily growing web company, founded in 2009 and acquired by the Axel Springer Group in 2011. Operating from a great office in central Berlin, we run 14 online shopping portals worldwide under the brands LadenZeile, ShopAlike and UmSóLugar. We offer the professionalism of a big player and the company culture of a startup. Our vision? To become THE global service for comparison shopping.
How are we trying to achieve that? During the last years, we have been building a strong, international team. We deal with modern web technologies, large databases, millions of images, data mining and analysis, search technologies and machine learning. We code stuff that matters and reaches millions of people. We believe in lean and agile software engineering. Our technology stack is plain Java, MySQL, Hadoop, HBase, Spring, IntelliJ/Eclipse, Elasticsearch and Tomcat (JSP).
Your mission at Visual Meta? As a “Linux Server Administrator (m/f)”, you will be working in an international team ensuring that our infrastructure and systems are working correctly and efficiently. Your main responsibilities will be configuring and monitoring our servers, implementing new technologies and solutions for our developers, resolving problems if they occur as well as performing day-to-day maintenance task. You’ll need to be an autonomous, accountable, proactive, and solution-oriented person.
- Very good understanding and working experience with Configuration Management Systems, preferably Puppet
- Very good comprehension of the GNU/Linux operating system and its command line interface BASH as well as solid scripting skills in BASH
- Good understanding of monitoring systems such as Nagios, Icinga, Sensu etc.
- Intermediate understanding of the current container ecosystem, its technologies and concepts, e.g.: Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes etc.
- Preferably a good understanding working knowledge of the following technologies and concepts: Apache Hadoop, Apache HBase, Apache HTTP Server, Apache Tomcat, ElasticSearch, MySQL, Jenkins, Nexus, Sonar, Maven, OpenVPN, SSH, TLS/SSL, DNS, DHCP, OSI Model, Switches, Routers, iptables, firewalls (Watchguard)
- A “getting things done” mentality and being a team player
- Very good communication skill in spoken and written English
- Configuring our GNU/Linux servers using Puppet
- Monitoring our GNU/Linux servers using Icinga2 and writing plugins if necessary
- Maintaining our Linux servers, databases, frontends and in-house applications
- Performing Linux systems administration and scripting tasks
- Maintaining our physical servers in the datacenter
- Performing networking tasks such as implementing firewall rules.
What we offer
- A committed, successful and international team
- Opportunity to work independently and gain a lot of insight into the field of system administration
- Continuous training possibilities and room for further personal development
- Flexible working hours and a great office in the heart of Berlin
- Healthy snacks (fruits, cereals), water and hot drinks
- Hackathons, team events, movie nights, table football, ping-pong, company bikes, etc.
Is this the job you are looking for?
Go ahead and submit your application in English including CV, salary expectations and your availability. As your responsible recruiter <strong< strong=““>Nikolina Dosen will be your point of contact.